How do I report animal cruelty?
If you feel an animal is being abused or neglected, please contact your local animal control or law enforcement.

When reporting an incident of abuse or neglect, you will need to provide with the following information:

  • An accurate and exact description of the incident witnessed (make sure to include date and time).
  • A detailed description of the animal(s) involved in the incident.
  • The address and a description of the location where the incident occurred.
  • An accurate identity of the alleged perpetrator, if known, including name, address and telephone number.  If possible, tell any known associates or co-participants in the alleged incident.
  • Your name and telephone number. Such information may be kept confidential; however, it is helpful for law enforcement or The Humane Society to have a point of contact in the event of misdirection or miscommunication.

You may not be able to provide law enforcement with all of the information listed above; however, the more detailed and accurate the information you can give, the better it will help.

Can I leave an anonymous complaint?
No. Animal Control, Law enforcement and The Humane Society will not accept anonymous complaints. We ask for your name and phone number so that we can follow up with you and/or obtain more information. We do; however, treat all requests for anonymity with the utmost respect. Although cases may not always proceed to court, signed statements from witnesses who are willing to testify are always more reliable and useful, if no further leads can be found.

Should I contact Animal Control or The Humane Society?
Keep in mind that The Humane Society does not respond to animal control issues. We only assist in resolving acts of animal cruelty, neglect and abuse. For example, a dog running down the road with no tags and no collar is unfortunate, but it’s not cruel. The Humane Society would refer this complaint to animal control.

How can I help The Humane Society fight animal cruelty?

  • Be a responsible pet owner. Don’t let your cats and dogs roam. Cats are safest indoors. When outdoors, dogs should be walked on a leash or supervised in a fenced yard. It’s up to you to keep your pets safe. Spay or neuter your cat or dog to reduce pet overpopulation and urge your friends to do the same.
  • Report animal cruelty or neglect to your local animal control, law enforcement agency or us.
  • Support The Humane Society in their mission to end animal cruelty. The Humane Society receives no public funding.  Monetary donations are utilized to support our assistance with authorities, sheltering of seized animals, equipment, supplies and training.
  • Educate the public. Tell your friends, families and neighbors about The Humane Society’s mission to end animal cruelty, neglect and overpopulation.